The Road To Recovery

I am lucky; in my family we have not had a drug addict. On my husband’s side it is a bit of a different story. His brother was thrown out of the navy due to drug use and one of his sisters fought addiction for many years before finally succumbing. It is something he really does not like to talk about since he has never been a drug user and has not even been tempted, but he wishes he could have helped his sister.

There are many treatment options, like those provide at Morningside Recovery. I know that if we knew more about her situation that we could have helped her and encouraged her to attend a place where she could get expert counseling and treatment. The choices for treatment are many and we if we know of somebody in need, I feel we are obligated to help them in any way we can.

My husband was a drug and alcohol advisor in his navy days and he says the hardest thing to do is get somebody to admit they have a problem, but once they do they can begin the road to recovery. He is not an expert in treatment, but has learned that professional help and family support are the best things to help a recovering drug addict. Places like Morningside Recovery can offer the professional help and support necessary.

12 Responses to “The Road To Recovery”

1. betchai says:

i most of the time see the users as victims of their circumstances, and had they gotten earlier intervention and help, they could definitely get out from the situation, but like what your husband said, it is hard to get someone to admit to an existing problem, it can be from embarrassment, or we are afraid of being misunderstood, but once they do, recovery is easier. i just wish those who are having these challenges would get the help as early as they could.

2. Alex says:

thanks for sharing this 🙂 counseling and proper treatment is the best way to recovery and a second chance to a new life.

3. jennyL says:

Thank God, no one in our family is a drug addict too. I guess it’s pretty hard nga to deal if you have a loved one that went the wrong way but there is always a road to recovery like you said.

4. Lainy says:

Sad that your hubs’ immediate family were once hooked on drugs. I hope they have been rehabilitated and treated.

5. Ria C says:

It’s really hard to fight the demon called “addiction.” I have the misfortune of seeing my brother ruin his life in a very swift manner. However, with the family’s support and prayers, he managed to pick himself up and learn from the past hurts and mistakes. Rehab played a big role on his way to recovery and I do believe that God has greater purpose for him.

He is now sober with a very healthy perspective in life. So, I can feel your hubby’s predicament. We can only be there as support system and pray that they too, will be strong for the other family members.

6. A person’s drug addiction recovery will only start when that person open himself for change.

7. papaleng says:

I’ve been there too. Yes, the hardest part really is to admit your hooked into drugs. Thanks, god showed how much He loves me kaya nakatakas din ako sa drugs.

8. family is one of the key parts for rehabilitation… good for your husband to have you po… a supportive wife when your husband is dealing with his kin’s drug issues… :))

9. emzkie says:

ahhh.. my husband used to be a drug addict when he was little like 12-17. he was in and out at juvenile prison. =D he got cleaned after 7years in Jail and that was 25years ago. =) he told me he tried everything from LSD, Coke, anything… lol. but he is ok now, he is a good guy, he never hurt anyone but himself, but that was a long time ago.

10. It’s never too late to get out of the habit. And when everyone else has given up hope, there’s always the family to turn to. Always be there for them.

11. Claire says:

I have seen and heard cases of drug addiction and I am just glad we don’t have to deal with this kind of problem. Sometimes,it can cost you arm and leg to put somebody in a rehabilitation facility but that’s a great way to make them get rid of the addiction.

12. Marie says:

Such places are very helpful to them, indeed!
    Some relatives of mine from my mother side are drug addicts before. But good thing, they’re okay now after they joined some activities in our church… they have left those drugs that can ruin their futures! 🙂